|Featured:||January 20, 2014|
|Development time:||72 hours|
Underbyte is a game created for Ludum Jam 28 by Unusual Cadence. It was featured on Pixel Love on January 20, 2014. The player is a character in a Mario-esque setting that falls through a pit and ends up in a dump for characters who lost their lives in their own video game universes.
- Left and right arrow keys - Move
- Z key - Jump
- X key - Shoot gun
- P key - Activate invincibility (temporary)
The player guides their unnamed character through the world, which is divided into several segments. Each segment requires the player to reach the far right end, transitioning them to the subsequent stage. Throughout the game, the player can obtain powerups that upgrade the character's weapon. Near the start, the player is also given a one time invincibility use.
Stage numbers are randomised, but retain their same design and order within each play.
|This navigational box contains a spoiler. Click [show] to open.|
The player enters an area with identical aesthetics to the one they started in. The words "You completed the game!!!" are written in block letters and are transparent with a black outline against the sky. The player is able to quintuple jump and use their weapon here.
- Clones - Enemies that look similar to the protagonist and are capable of jumping and walking frantically around the level. In later stages, they can be spawned from glitched portals.
- Large enemies - A larger, robot-like enemy that slides around. They cannot respawn.
- Blocks - Transparent squares with garbled text on them. When shot at, they can destroy walls.
- Walls - Barriers that prevent the protagonist from passing through.
There is one main track in Underbyte that plays during the game. A loop of the introduction is present in the first stage.