|The Company of Myself|
|Released:||November 22, 2009 (Newgrounds)|
|Featured:||February 24, 2014|
|Data saved:||In-game progress|
|Website(s):||Newgrounds, Kongregate, GamesFree.com|
The Company of Myself is a puzzle game released on Newgrounds on November 22, 2009 by Eli Piilonen. It was featured on Pixel Love on February 24, 2014. The player controls a hermit who must reach the green door to pass each level.
- Left and right arrow keys - Move left/right
- Up arrow key - Jump
- Spacebar - Enter doors/create silhouette/switch player
- A key - Pull levers
The hermit narrates each level, sometimes telling his life story or hinting newly introduced game mechanics. The goal of each level is to have the characters reach the green door.
Upon selecting "New Game", white words against a plain black background scroll up the screen. These words are the protagonist's words, setting the exposition of the game's story. He describes a little bit about himself, then the game goes to the first level.
My attention is stolen by a green square on the other end of the room. I want to be its friend more than anything that I've ever wanted. I decide to use the Arrow Keys to approach it.
As prompted by the narrator, the player can use the arrow keys to move in their respective direction. The hermit is positioned in line with the green door, so the player can hold the arrow key until the hermit reaches it.
Once the hermit reaches the door, the player can press the spacebar to enter it and proceed to the next level.
|This navigational box contains a spoiler. Click [show] to open.|
Green text against a plain black background scrolls up the screen. With the text, a therapist logs their final conversation with the hermit, whose name is revealed to be Jack. Jack is able to recall his life and past relationship with Kathryn, but does not remember murdering her. The therapist deems his condition uncurable and decides he should remain away from the public.
After the end credits scroll up, the words The End appear, in cursive text. Some subtext appears below it: The shrink leaves, and suddenly I don't even have a person to tell my story to anymore.
- Doors - Completes the level.
- Silhouettes - Identities that mimic the previous movements of the hermit once created.
- Levers - Remove doors according to their colour.
- Barriers - Prevent either the silhouettes or the hermit from passing through them.
- Pink barriers allow the hermit to pass through, but stop the silhouettes.
- Green barriers allow the silhouettes to pass through, but stop the hermit.
- Flower - Allows the hermit to respawn in a different spot from his silhouettes.